Updated: Jan 29, 2020
Today is the half-way point of my grant! As good a time as any to dust off this blog? Here’s some of what I’ve been up to:
- Joined the Orquesta Escuela de Emilio Balcarce
- Played with the Graciano Cuarteto (two of these great musicians are my professors here!)
- Started learning bandoneon
- Joined the La Martino Orquesta Típica
- Playing piano at church choir
- Hosted Brendon and Jeremy, included getting 200% soaked at Iguazu with Jeremy.
- Started (started!) being better about staying in touch with long-distance friends
- Helping out every Sunday with the English class at church
- Got told by a tango instructor that I dance like a dead cat
- Went to therapy (thank you, Fulbright Assist)
- Ate lots of ice cream
- Found out that “reduced visibility seating” at Teatro Colon means you won’t see any of the opera, but you’ll enjoy incredible acoustics
- Figured out how to bake using a toaster oven
- Set limits on how much social media I use every day
- Tried llama for the first time
- Learned how to light a gas stove manually
Here’s what I’m looking forward to for the next half:
- Mom visits in October!
- Fulbright Midyear Conference in Brazil
- OET’s debut at the Buenos Aires Tango Festival
- Recording and touring with La Martino to Rosario
- Premiering José Bravo’s new duet with Amijai Shalev (October 23, save the date!)
- Making time to do more dancing (hopefully re-animating the cat?)
- Not getting absolutely beat up every week at boxing (tbd)
- Solo recital in November!
- Eating even more ice cream
and lots more that I’m not thinking of or don’t even know about at the moment!
til next time,